Mets rally from down 5-0 to complete 3-game sweep of Marlins
Jeff Francouer continued his hot hitting as he went 2-4 with a HR and 3 RBI as he extended his hit streak to 10 games and his RBI streak to four games. The Mets have now won 8 straight home games (this is the Mets second win streak of at least 8 straight games at home this season). The last time the Mets had 2 separate winning streaks of at least 8 games at home was in 1990). The Mets completed their first 3-game sweep of the Florida Marlins at home since June 26-28, 2000.
New York Mets Series Sweeps at least 3 games vs Marlins in team history
June 4-6, 2010
June 26-28, 2000
June 22-24, 1999
Jose Reyes seems to be falling back into his slump again as he has just one hit in his last 19 AB. Reyes has also not scored a run in his last 5 games. With Reyes not having scored during the Mets 3-game win streak, this marks just the 7th time in his career with the Mets that the Mets have won 3 straight games WITHOUT Reyes scoring a run (keep in mind these are only games that Reyes plays in). If the Mets win on Tuesday and Reyes does not score it will tie the record for longest Mets win streak without Reyes scoring a run.
Mets longest win streaks without Reyes scoring a run
August 17-20 2006 4 games
June 4-6 2010 3 games*
September 1-3 2008 3 games
August 7-9 2008 3 games
July 8-10 2008 3 games
July 20-22 2006 3 games
Sept/Oct 29-1 2005 3 games
>Spans Jose Reyes’ entire career (2003-Present)
David Wright went 3-5 and is blistering hot over his last 7 games in which he has hit safely in all 7 games. Wright has already equaled his HR total for all of last season when he hit his 10th HR on Saturday. Wright’s strikeouts are also way down over the last 7 games, having not struck out in 5 of those 7 games. His current streak of 10 AB without a strikeout ties a season-high for most AB without a K. His current 3-game stretch without a K is the longest streak of consecutive games in which he has not struck out this season.
David Wright – Numbers during current 7-game hit streak
>>Has not struck out in 10 straight AB (tied for season-high)
Ryota Igarashi came on to pitch the 7th inning yesterday and continued his HORRID pitching since coming off the DL. Igarashi threw 32 pitches in the 7th inning allowing 1 run while giving up a hit and 2 walks. After a promising beginning to the season in which Jerry Manuel even handed him the 8th inning role, Igarashi has been beyond terrible since coming off the DL.
Ryota Igarashi – Before and since return from DL
Games 7 6
IP 6.2 4.0
H 3 11
ER 1 12
ERA 1.35 27.00
K/BB 3/4 1/5
WHIP 1.13 4.00
Sunday’s game marked the 4th time this season that the Mets have rallied from down by at least 4 runs and tie or take the lead. They are 2-2 in those games. In all of those game the Mets have rallied in the 6th inning or later in each of them.
Mets rallying to tie/go ahead when down by 4+ runs at home in 2010
vs Marlins June 6 trailed 5-0 in 6th W, 7-6
vs Nationals May 11 trailed 6-2 in 8th W, 8-6
vs Giants May 9 trailed 4-0 in 6th L, 6-5
vs Marlins April 7 trailed 6-1 in 7th L, 7-6
Around the majors
– Ubaldo Jimenez improved to 11-1 despite his consecutive scoreless inning streak ending at 33. He has a 0.93 ERA through 12 starts this season which is fourth-best in major league history. The Rockies snapped a 3-game losing streak with their 3-2 win over the Diamondbacks.
Best ERA Through 12 Starts – MLB History
Dutch Leonard 0.83 1914
Al Benton 0.89 1945
Walter Johnson 0.93 1918
Ubaldo Jimenez 0.93 2010
Walter Johnson 0.95 1914
– The Brewers defeated the Cardinals 4-3 in 10 innings despite another strong performance by Cardinals rookie starter Jaime Garcia. Garcia allowed 2 ER in 6 IP and has not allowed more than 2 ER in any of his 11 starts this season.
Most Consecutive Starts; 2 or Fewer ER – To Start Season Last 10 Years
2008 Edinson Volquez CIN 12
2010 Ubaldo Jimenez COL 12<<
2010 Jaime Garcia STL 11<<
2009 Zack Greinke KC 10
2004 Jake Peavy SD 10
– The Padres defeated the Phillies in extra-innings 6-5 thanks to 8.1 scoreless innings from their bullpen. The Phillies threatened in the bottom of the 10th but Tony Gwynn threw out Placido Polanco trying to go to third with one out on a single by Chase Utley. After giving up what would have been a game-tying single to Ryan Howard, Heath Bell struck out Jason Werth to end the game.
– Matt Capps blew his 4th save in his last 6 save opportunities as the Nationals lost to the Reds 5-4. The Nationals rallied to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth after a Scott Rolen HR had put the Reds up, but allowed a run in the 10th to lose for the 5th time in their last 6 games.
– The Dodgers defeated the Braves 5-4 in 11 innings giving the Braves their 3rd walk-off win in their last 5 games. Martin Prado extended his hit streak to 11 games going 3-6 on the day. Prado also scored a run in the game which extended his run scoring streak to 11 games (longest in majors this season).
Most Hits – National League 2010
Martin Prado ATL 80
Ryan Braun MIL 71
Chase Headley SD 66
Albert Pujols STL 66
Andrew A. McCutchen PIT 66
Around the majors
– Rays defeat the Rangers to avoid the sweep and improve to a MLB best 22-8 on the road this season.
– Angles win their 5th straight with a 9-4 win over the Mariners. The Angels are now just a 1/2 game back of the AL West leading Texas Rangers. The Mariners have lost 3 straight and are a MLB-worst 5-16 in day games this season.
– The A’s improve to a MLB-best 11-4 in one-run games and avoid a sweep with a 5-4 win over the Twins.
– The Orioles defeat the Red Sox in 11 innings, snapping their 10-game losing streak and reward Juan Samuel with his first victory as a manager. The Red Sox are now a MLB-worst 1-7 in extra-innings this season.
Worst W-L this season – Extra Inning Games
Red Sox 1-7<<
<<0-4 vs Orioles
– The Yankees score 4 runs in the 8th inning to overcome a 2-0 deficit and avoid the sweep from the Blue Jays. Javier Vazquez won for the 4th time in his last 5 starts.
Help Fund for Cancer Survivors
I might as well use this blog to educate people that cancer survivors out there need your help. Many of us (myself included) have suffered awful side effects from the chemotherapy and radiation. As a result of my treatment, I now suffer from Hemochromotosis, Crohn’s Disease and Lymphedema. I had to retire in April 2008 after being diagnosed with Hemochromotosis. Disability payments are not NEARLY enough to live on an many of us in situations like mine need help. PLEASE help me by donating to a fund to start a foundation for cancer survivors. If you want more information or are looking want to become involved, check out our facebook page or email me.